Click here for our offer
- You have just arrived in Switzerland and you want your kids to be able to adapt to the German language and learn at their own pace
- You want them to be close to you
- You disagree with the way public schools teach knowledge
- Bullying is becoming a chronic problem or
- you understandably do worry about your child’s safety due to the pandemic.
Homeschooling is an established and ever faster growing teaching method in Switzerland. Our institute is very experienced and perfectly informed about the rules that apply to homeschoolers here. Let’s illustrate them using the example of the canton of Zurich.
Legal basisPrivate instruction is supervised by the Department of Education (Bildungsdirektion). If it lasts less than one year, supervisory visits hardly ever happen.
Obligation to registerHomeschooling is not subject to approval, only it is subject to notification. Parents must report their will to homeschool their children to the school administration of their municipality of residence and to the Directorate of Education "Supervision of Private Schools/Aufsicht ueber Privatschulen". The following is necessary for the report:
- Fully completed registration form and timetable
- Group size (1-5 students)
- Number of lessons, which must comply with the corresponding legal requirements. According to the Department of Education, the number of lessons per week must be adhered to: "... lessons per week. These must be complied with per school week.". "
- Information about the teacher
Group sizeA maximum of five school-age children are taught at the same time.
Number of lessonsAt the maximum of 3 children, at least half of the lessons provided for in the cantonal curriculum must be taught For 4 to 5 children at least two thirds of the lessons provided for in the cantonal curriculum must be taught
Teachers trainingIf private tuition lasts longer than one year, it must be given by a person who has a "completed teacher training". This means that during compulsory schooling, a student may be taught for a total of no more than one year by professors who have a different teacher training. "Completed teacher training" is considered to be (for the Canton of Zurich):
- Teaching diploma from the Zurich University of Teacher Education (PH Zurich)
- Certificate of proficiency from a predecessor institution of the PH Zurich
- Teaching diploma for Matura schools or predecessor diploma
- Education in other Swiss cantons
- recognized teaching diploma of the Swiss Conference of Cantonal Ministers of Education (EDK)
Curriculum and learning objectivesThe learning objectives according to the curriculum of the Canton of Zurich must be achieved.
Review of the quality of teaching
- If private lessons last longer than one year, their quality will be checked annually. The review is carried out by means of annual supervisory visits. In addition, school performance tests may be ordered.
- In case of serious deficiencies, the department of education may prohibit private tuition.
- speech therapy
- psychomotor therapy
- school books
- a formally correct report
- required subjects and topics
- a weekly schedule plan
- collection of school books
- administrative work
- the search for a suitable teacher for your child
School career / certificatesPromotions (level within a grade) and transfers are decided by the teacher. The legal basis for assessment and promotion at the elementary school can be found in § 32 VSG and §§ 33-40 VSV. The Directorate recommends that these be applied. Teachers in private lessons may use the official report forms of the elementary school, issue their own reports or dispense with a written form of evaluation altogether. The official certificates of the Directorate of Education are public documents that must be kept truthfully and in accordance with the documents.
School vacationsSchool vacations can, but do not have to, be based on local school vacations. However, it is recommended by the Directorate of Education.
Teaching materialsChildren of compulsory school age, who are taught privately, can obtain teaching aids by their municipality of residence for free. The list of compulsory and alternative compulsory teaching materials can be found under this link.
Music school and school sportsPrivately taught students may attend music school at their place of residence and take advantage of voluntary school sports services. For the use of these services, private pupils are subject to the same conditions as public ones.
Clarifications and therapiesPrivately taught students are entitled to clarifications, therapies and documentation at their place of residence. This includes:
Our offer to youWith you and your child we will go through different requirements such as:
Networking with other homeschool families and finding suitable teachersFor more information about other homeschooling families and finding teachers see www.homeschooling-netzwerk.ch
Homeschooling is prohibited in the following cantons